Friday, September 16, 2011

My Eid

So, here I am once more to talk about my Eid.

'Tis the night before Eid (I like saying that) we were all excited and everything. So, at like 10:00 or 11:00, I went to my Indian neighbor's house. Her husband and in-laws are Sudani, and her in-laws just came to visit and they brought lots of henna/mendi. So, around that time, I went to her house and she put African-style mendi on the front (the side with the nails) of my hands and a little bit of my arms. She outlined it with black and filled it in with red. It was beautiful mashaAllah. Only problem was, it kinda itched, which usually doesn't happen, and in the morning, when I tried to take off without water, it hurt BADLY because the hairs on my arms were COMING OFF WITH IT. Ouch. I still cringe when I think about it.

So, we stayed up until like 1:00 AM drying our mendi, because my sisters put it on too. Except they only did red and my mom did theirs traditional bengali style. Then when my youngest sister went to sleep my mom finished cooking this special chicken curry called murgir korma. SubhanaAllah, it just smelled so goood. So, when Ammi saw the look on our faces, she asked us if me and maryam wanted some. We just nodded with big smiles on our faces. So, she took a porota (paratha. in Bengali its porota) out of the fridge and after she cooked it, she got a plate, put some curry and gravy, got a mat and gave it to us. If you're wondering how I ate, the mendi was pretty much dry by then and it was on the TOP of my hands, so, i could eat alhamduliAllah. I don't think chicken ever tasted so good.

I slept with the mendi, as I always do, and the next day when I woke up and looked under my pillow for my Eid present, well, you know what happened if you read the post before. Well, I was officially in a bad mood then, but I couldn't show it, because, it's EID MORNING, so I went to wash my mendi off. You also know what happened then. I also had a black swirl mark on my left cheek because I guess i slept on my hand at night. That made me even madder, and I couldn't help but scowl while I washed my face with Johnsen's Baby Soap.

Then I got ready. I wore a black abaya with brown designs on the arms, a perfectly matching hijab (that my mom found in the back of her closet, thought it would go great with my abaya, and hemmed the edges so I could wear it.) And I wore new Nine West black heels (I found them at Ross : D  and a cool ring. The we walked to the masjid.

After prayer and everything, we came home, and my dad gave us Eid money, aka Eidy. I was a bit taken aback and surprised because this was the first year. I got $10, and each of my sisters and brother got $5. Nevertheless, my mood started to get better.

My mom started getting cravings for donuts and a boba shake, so we went to our favorite donut store and bought some donuts, bagels, and a mango boba shake. After we finished eating, we got ready.

I decided to change (or rather, my mother decided for me) and I wore a new brown pishwa, which is basically a shelvar kamis except it's A-line cut. With that, I wore a thick gold necklace, called booter mala because the balls are big and circular. Kinda sphere-ish. I wore matching gold ear rings, and a maroon ring, since there were maroon designs on my pishwa. And I put a little bit of mascara.

Then we drove 20-30 mins to a friends house. I had a bit of grilled chicken, since I was still full from breakfast. I talked with my friend and teased a boy whom I had known since he was 3. Then we drove two hourse to SD (aka San Diego) and I took my friend with me.

In SD, we first went to one friends house, where I had morok polaw which is basically rice and chicken. For dessert, I had rosho golla which is curd balls boiled in a simple syrup. Then I played Wii.

After that, we drove 20 mins went to ANOTHER friends house. From there, we visited 3 other houses because they all lived in the same complex. One of the aunties gave me a present. It was a REALLY CUTE porcelain mug. MUCH better than what my dad gave me.

After that, we drove another 20 mins to ANOTHER friends house. There, we had dinner. We played, and really goofed off. I talked with my old friend who I usually see only on Eid. And we played tricks and scared each other. It was fun.

By the time we came home, it was 1:00 AM


pretty good eid alhamduliAllah

2 comments: